Saturday, April 16, 2011

Mountain time.

I remember when I was a kid, like eight or nine maybe, my grandma had this watch that she sometimes wore on a chain and around her neck. When she did this my grandpa would pronounce that if you asked her the time, whatever time it was would be considered to be from the Mountain Time Zone. Pretty damn funny, I used to (and still do) think. We lived in Iowa back then.

Today, in baseball, the Mountain Time Zone is still somewhat of a joke. For starters, Kevin Millar, on MLB Network spoke out about the Rockies' Troy Tulowitzki saying that he's not a superstar because he's never tallied more than 110 RBIs in a season. Yeah. Whatever. Apparently 20+ home runs in six weeks of baseball (dating back to last season) is lame.

I'm pretty sure that if a little-known second basemen who goes about 5-9 and 150 lbs was getting on base at a clip of just under .600 for the Yankees (that's Venezuelan Johathan Herrera I'm referring to), the Baseball Gatekeepers (I'm talking about the ESPNs and Sporting News and MLB.coms and Sports Illustrateds and the like) would be going off the hook bragging about him and proclaiming him to be the next prince of New York.

If Troy Tulowitzki played for the Yankees, Derek Jeter would now be a DH at best, and as close to a foot note as he's ever been in his career.

I would assume that if either the New York Yankees or Boston Red Sox were 11-2 after 13 games into their season, there would be a considerable amount of chatter.

It boils down to the fact that, in the baseball lexicon, the Mountain Time Zone is forgotten. Good, I say. Keep it that way, I say. No need to get all up in their faces about how none of the Rockies' starting pitchers have recorded a loss. How the only two losses the team has are in extra-inning games.

You guys over there on the East Coast just keep covering the surprisingly horrible Red Sox and a Yankees team whose starting rotation is already showing signs of cracking. Pay no attention to us over hear in the mountains.

No comments:

Post a Comment